Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rains

‘It comes from the east.’ I was glad to hear from Sandy that there was something I could observe to tell me when the monsoon had arrived as I’d been wondering how I was going to tell the difference between pre-monsoon and monsoon rain storms. On 1 June the prediction was that the monsoon would arrive in two weeks. Mid afternoon on 19 June the rain storm battered my bedroom window, forcing a rearrangement of the bedside ‘table’ and pile of novels. Until now it’s been the kitchen windows, with the occasional major event finding me sweeping water out of the drain while the rain coming down the drain from the roof adds to my challenge on the kitchen floor. Schools close for six weeks of rainy season holiday on 1 July, and this last week or so for many students is first term exams. This difference in the school year, with the long holiday not being the break between year levels is again one of the many differences for me to learn about.


So far a sunshade, but I expect I'll be caught in the rain soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment