Friday, September 2, 2011

How far does the money go?

OR       What can I buy for an Australian dollar or two?

Today’s exchange rate as per Republica newspaper is 1AUD – R78/, more than it was when I arrived last November. I’ll let you do the calculations of dollar and cents.


Lunch at a cafe: a plate of veg momos R55/ or Masala Dhosa R50/
2-egg omelette and puffed rice at the DEO teashop R30/
Cup of black tea with lemon R5/
Small bottle of sprite etc R30/
Repairing the puncture on my bike R20/
Pumping up my tyres R5/ - actually my family told me it’s 2 each tyre, but I always offer a R5 note
Bus fare for the hour ride to Lumbini for me and my cycle R50/
English newspaper R3/ or R5/

Yak cheese 100g R55/
1 kg tomatoes R20/
1kg eggplant R10/
250g green capsicum R15/

300ml bag of milk R21/
Cup of yoghurt 200ml R20/
500ml bag of yoghurt R38/
Muesli 400g packet R85/
6 bananas R25/
2kg whole-wheat flour R74/
Butter 250 g R125/

Material to make a pair of plain pants, R165/ and to stitch them R100/
A suit – material for matching pants, top, scarf and then stitched for me approx R1000/

Electricity per month on average approx 300, but this month my bill was 408 – did I mention it’s hot here and so I like using the ceiling fan? Plus the power cuts are less than in the cold season.

A 5 day course of antihistamine tablets plus a small tube of eye cream to help a fellow volunteer recover from their effort to beautify themself with hair dye R48/ (It was me who went to the pharmacy to buy as their eye was so swollen, didn’t want to cycle, no problem to buy products clearly labelled ‘not without prescription’)




 


veg momos at Mokhan Bhog, a favourite lunch spot
This entry lacks the photos I anticipated, will aim to add some more over the coming days ......

No comments:

Post a Comment